Thursday, August 9, 2007

What Did You Do Yesterday?

What did I do yesterday you ask? Well, we ended up coming to Madison, WI a day too early for our distance education conference, so I made the best of it. I got up at 5:00 AM, went down to the Fitness Center, and walked my 3-miles as required by the training sheet. Oh, that was to make up for missing Tuesday since that was a travel day. I then swam for 15 miles in the hotel pool, for Wednesday's 15 minutes of cross-training. I decided it would be fun to get out and explore. I LOVE to explore new cities. So, I started my trek.

I started out finding my way to one of the lakes. However, Madison is not built like Greenlake in Seattle, so you can't walk around it. So, I took a picture (with my phone, forgot the camera), and went on my merry way, to what I suppose is Greek Row. Never was a Greek myself, so bonding with any of the summer students was out of the question. I think they only really like Greeks. Anyway, again I made my way. I started down State Street. If you ever find yourself in Madison, I suggest you make it a plan to see it. Very cute little shops. Definitely worth a trip.

So, at the end of State Street, is the University of Wisconsin. Since I was just at the University of Minnesota, I feel like a senior in high school again, visiting schools to determine which I want to attend. Oooopppsss, been there, done that and I have the school loans to prove it (yes Mom, I know you do too ).

So, I left State Street and ended up on University. Well, needless to say both University Street(?) and the University seem to go on forever. They have great public transportation here though, and all the bus stops have maps. Since I like to explore, I never bring directions with me. I figure out the general location and start walking. Miles and miles later, after seeing Starbucks after Starbucks, I find myself walking past a bagel factory. I know it is a factory because 1.) I can smell them, and 2.) I can see them. Yup, it was Laverne and Shirley with bagels instead of beer. They came right off that assembly line full speed ahead. I knew I had to remember this.

I kept walking until finally, University and Midvale appeared. I actually got giddy when I saw the intersection, because that is all I wrote down for my destination-

Yup, I walked what Mapquest said would take a Total Est. Time of 9 minutes and a Total Est. Distance of 3.56 miles to get to Macy's! Maybe they should sponsor my 3-Day!

So, after browsing and resting for a while, I think the humidity is like 60%, something I am totally not used to, I needed to head back. And YES, I stopped and had a bagel!

It was the best Veggie Bagel sandwich I ever had for lunch!

Talk to You Later!
Jennifer
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
History of Bagels Forever
In 1973, the bagel had arrived. Bagels Forever opened its first retail bagel bakery on University Avenue and brought the famous New York-style bagel to the college town of Madison, Wisconsin.

Today Bagels Forever bagels are sold in grocery stores throughout Wisconsin and the Midwest. The original bakery is still here, inviting visitors who drive down University Avenue to try any of our infinitely delicious bagel varieties.

No comments: