Sunday, August 12, 2007

The one day I don't wear pants....

So, Friday ended the conference I was attending, and we did not get a flight out of Madison until Saturday morning at 6:35 am. Both the coming and going were quite brutal on this trip at the wee hours of the morning. Anyway, intrigued by the water (don't see that much where I live), I decided a nice walk along one of the lakes would be lovely.
So, I embarked on yet another walking journey. I started out on the path designed for walking/biking. I met a nice woman with her kids, one of which was learning to ride her bike on two wheels. When she fell, she looked around for confirmation (other than her mother) that she was alright. I gave it to her. I like meeting native strangers.

I later met a man with a baby stroller, who asked me the time. I think that is funny since I never change my watch to the time zone I am in, and instead have to do the math in my head, after trying to remember what time zone I am in. I asked how far the trail went, and he said that to walk around the lake is about 12-14 miles. Okay, I thought to myself. I have to walk 20 for three days in a row, now is a good time to get past 10 miles, and enjoy the walk.

So, I kept going. Madison has very lovely parks! They are scattered everywhere in that city. It is quite amazing. And I will tell you what, I miss green! Brown is beautiful, but there is something about a green landscape. So, the only issue I found with the parks were the lack of bathrooms. Some had them, some not. When I really needed on, I found the "not" parks. I have to tell you that I am somewhat concerned about the actual walk days. I drink so much water, I seem to need the potty ever couple of miles. Thought the bladder was in better shape that this.

Anyway, I kept walking and somehow found myself in the middle of a residential area I could not get myself out of. I resorted to stopping a post man, who in order to get his attention, I stood in front of his truck. He thought he was in my way, so he proceeded to go around, but I said, "No, stop, I need your help." He gave me more directions, and told me the exact streets to take. But what I really wanted was someone to save me, and a postman was as good as any hero in my book.

Miles and miles later, I finally called Marcey. Marcey is the Provost and I's admin, and the girl is a miracle in my life. She organizes me, and I am pretty organized, but she make me that much better. We also attempt to carpool to save the environment, since we live in the same city. So, Marcey is in speed dial, and I call. I inform her of the story and the need for a taxi, because I am not sure if I walk anymore if I will be able to walk tomorrow, because I thought I would be sore. She called the Madison taxi cab, from Phoenix mind you, and gave them the location that I gave to her. Soon, the cab was there, and I was whisked back to the hotel. Oh, and there were 8 miles left to get back.

So, I walked for 4 hours, in the beautiful sun, with a cool wind blowing. The lake itself has 15 miles of shoreline (I wish natives would know all the facts before giving visitors advice). Mind you, the lake has no shoreline to walk, so this trek very may well have been over 20 miles. And you know what? After all that, I was not sore!!!!

What I was surprised about was the severe burns I received, with my legs taking the brunt. So, although I had no soreness from the walking, I still looked like a 90 year old woman trying to walk, while my pants rubbed up against the burnt skin. My arms, face, and neck were equally burnt, but for some reason they did not hurt.

Errrr..... the one day I didn't wear pants.

Jennifer

No comments: