Tuesday, July 10, 2007

What Are You Talking About????


Have you ever really thought about what you have contributed? Have you ever really thought about what you really wanted to do? Have you ever seen one of those books titled, 1000 Places to See Before You Die, or 1000 Things To Do Before You Die? And have you done any of those things on your list, or will you do them another day?

Well, this is my attempt at working on my list today...

Let me tell you a little about myself. My name is Jennifer Lech (previously a Foisy). I live in Phoenix, Arizona with my husband Erik and my two Pugs Michael and Matty (Matilda). I have lived here for five years, an Army Brat, and transplant, most recently, from the Seattle area. I love it here, even in the summer when it is warm.

For a career, I have found myself in higher education. I have worked in higher education since 2000, and found education to be something I understand. I am currently the Vice President of Academic Affairs at Grand Canyon University, which is a leadership position for the academic branch of the University. I was recruited for this position by my boss, and have been mentored into this role. I think what I love the most is knowing that someone's life is improved because of what I do everyday.

I am also a student myself. I attend Walden University as a candidate for a Ph.D. in Applied Management and Decision Sciences. I guess I thought it would be a lot like another master's but, I am finding out differently. Just after the last Research Theory Course and my current Statistics course, sometimes I have no idea what I am doing, just ask my Mom on Saturday or Sunday morning. BUT, I try hard.

So, I guess I tell you all of this, because my life is like everyone else's. I am trying to improve myself in my career, through education, for my family. I am the typical overacheiver, type A personality, and I have taken on habits over the years that support those personality characteristics. I have quit smoking, gained some weight, started smoking, kept the weight, quit smoking, and so on. I recently participated in a Maricopa County Quit Smoking Class, where today I can say I am 4-weeks quit. This time, I really think there is no going back, but that is what this journey is about.

I want to do something that matters to me. I want to finish a challenge I have wanted to do in my life, but was too lazy to work at. I want to do this now, to teach me to participate in life again. I too let the routine rule my world! NO MORE! I am taking back my happiness and getting fit. No more feeling like I am drowning.

So, you are here to witness my journey, my personal transformation through my desire to participate in the Susan G Komen Foundation's Walk for the Cure. I will be walking 60 miles in three days, and not only is this a challenge I want to overcome, but I know my efforts will help someone improve their quality of life.

"The estimated numbers of new breast cancer cases and deaths for 2006 included an estimated 212,920 new cases of invasive breast cancer are expected to occur among women in the United States during 2006. An estimated 40,970 women will die from breast cancer. It is estimated that 1,720 men will be diagnosed and 460 men will die of breast cancer during 2006. In addition to invasive breast cancer, 61,980 new cases of in situ breast cancer are expected to occur among women in 2006. Of these, approximately 85 percent will be ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS)." Source: American Cancer Society Cancer Facts & Figures 2006.

I know, through your support, I can do this and in the process, I can change my life too.

Until next Talk...

Jennifer

Picture Reference
Wichita State University. (2004). Tres Mujeres Caminando (Three Women Walking). Retrieved July 10, 2007, from webs.wichita.edu/.../threewomenwalking/

No comments: