Saturday, July 14, 2007

Ooouch!

Tomorrow I leave for Minneapolis, Minnesota, for which I have mixed feelings about. I am going to my second residency for my Ph.D. program. Four residencies are required, so of these, I will be halfway done. I am excited for two reasons. First, I get to see my friend Amy, whom I met at a residency in December. She is a really nice person and we hit it off well. She is from New York, so I enjoy listening to her talk. We are not in the same program, but regardless, we have a great time and it is really important to have someone cheering you on. She also agreed to bring work out clothes, so we can work out during the week. The other reason I am excited is because I will earn another 6 credits toward the 134 or so required. It means I get to check another task off, and if anyone knows me, checking off tasks is what I do. I am okay with being compulsive.

The reason I am not excited is....I actually do not like leaving home all that much, because it breaks up the routine I referred to in the first post, as well as means I have to leave Erik, Michael, and Matty (the latter sleeps with me every night). I think they are okay with the break, so it could just be me. Erik refers to this as a vacation. Hmmm.....

The point of my story is that I have to get on an airplane tomorrow morning, bright and early at 6:45 am. I have to check in at residency no later than 4:00 pm. Therefore, due to travel, I don't think I will be able to walk tomorrow, so I made up for it today by walking 8 miles! Yup, 8 miles on the treadmill (thank God for Law and Order DVD sets)! The treadmill is a fabulous invention for those who live in Phoenix and don't want to face the 110 degree weather to take a walk but that is another story.

Anyway, a couple of days ago, I received my first blister of the journey. It didn't hurt that much so the next day I walked again. I bought some moleskin at Target with my friend Lisa (who is also walking in the 3-day) so today I put that on. Well, the one blister seemed to turn into 3 blisters, one on top of the other. Okay, I am no baby but it was pinching a bit. So, what does all this mean?

It means two things. First, I must get new shoes when I get back next Sunday, because it is very apparent mine do not fit (or I walk very funny). AND I had to find out how to take care of a blister...officially.

So, I did my research on the Internet. I cannot remember what we did before this fabulous invention, but I am sure I had more time in my life since it is easy to spend countless hours on it before you know it. Anyway, I cannot beleive what a little blister can do, so I thought I would share, so you know that they are not always that little.

Watch for a skin infection while your blister is healing. Signs of a skin infection include:
Increased pain, swelling, redness, or warmth.
  • Red streaks extending away from the blister.
  • A discharge of pus or a honey-colored fluid.
  • Fever.
  • Swollen glands.

A skin infection is more likely if:

  • Dirt remains in a broken blister, cut, or scratch.
  • The blister is in the genital or anal area, in a skin fold, or between the toes.
  • You have a greater risk of infection and complications from a blister if you also have other conditions, such as diabetes, peripheral arterial disease, or immune system problems, which cause problems with healing.

A cut or a scratch may turn into a blister-type sore that oozes a honey-colored fluid and forms a crust. This may be caused by impetigo, which most often develops on the face but can affect other parts of the body. Most broken blisters do not become infected if they are properly cleaned and cared for. Home treatment measures for cleaning and caring for a broken blister can reduce your risk of an infection.

Call your health professional if you have a blister and signs of infection. A health professional can evaluate your symptoms and recommend treatment. Prompt treatment of an infection can help prevent serious complications.

So, there you have it. Blisters can be serious, so when you get one, make sure you take care of it. I am proud to say, after cleaning, disinfecting, and popping, my toe is in the road to recovery. I guess I will survive to walk another day.

Jennifer

References

Youngerman-Cole, S. (2005, June 22). Blisters and a skin infection. Yahoo Health. Retreived July 14, 2005, from http://health.yahoo.com/ency/healthwise/aa67302




1 comment:

BellaLovesPink said...

Ugh! Blisters are the worst!! Good shoes are key and to avoid blisters while I played basketball, I wore two pairs of socks, so that might help too. If you don't want to go that route, there are socks designed to cushion those places on the foot blisters often arise.

Hope you have a good trip!